Sunday, August 1, 2010

Can I wear fake nails during L&D?

Just wondering if I can go and get my nails done at the salon a week before my due date! :) My mother in law said something about not being able to wear them...Can I wear fake nails during L%26amp;D?
Wow that's a good one! Yes you can absolutely have fake nails when you deliver. There is no reason at all why you can't.Can I wear fake nails during L%26amp;D?
In a class at a hospital for my last pregnancy we were told specifically not only to not have any fake nails, but not to have any nail polish, even clear, of any kind on at all.





I also know that any time I've had surgery in the past they have made a big issue about me not having even clear nail polish on.





If you are low on oxygen, apparently your nails begin to turn blue and that's one of the signs that doctors use. They also often put a probe on your finger to read your vitals and check oxygen levels, and this apparently cannot be done through nail polish, let alone fake nails/tips.
I used to get my nails done all the time until I worked at a hospital and was not allowed to wear them. The reason they prefer you not to is because fake nails are extremely unsanitary and carry a lot of bacteria under the nail. That and if you have them too long they can be a bigger pain than they are worth. I'd wait a few months before getting them done. Last thing you want is some baby poopie stuck under your fake nails lol.





As for L%26amp;D I don't think they will say anything about you having fake nails. If they do, oh well by that time you will be getting ready to push a baby out you won't have time to worry about taking them off and I highly doubt they would force you too.
You can't have them on if you have to have a c-sec i have had 3, i had them on with my natural birth and that was ok.


And you do have less chance of scratching with fake ones cause as you said they are thicker i prefer to have fake ones than my own natural ones.


Good luck and if you have them on and they have to do an emergency c-sec they will take them off so don't stress
Better check with your doctor. I saw a special on the news the other day about fingernails and it pointed out that the reason patients are asked to remove fingernail polish is so that blood flow can be monitored in more than one way. If your fingernails are blue instead of a healthy pinkish/red under the nail itself, it would indicate a serious oxygen problem. BUT - check with your doctor and/or the hospital where you plan to deliver.
i had my nails done all through my pregnancy and nothing happened.


i got my nails done the day i was scheduled to go get induced and nothing happened if your careful you wont scratch your baby.





lots of people get there nails and toes done before having their baby and NOTHING happens!
No it;s not because of something stupid like scratching your baby it's becuase (if you try you will understand better than my explanation) when you push on your nail it turns white, so if they are colored or are fake that thing they put on your finger like a peg cannot do it's job incase you need a c-section or an operation or even just during labour. sorry cant be technical but you get what I mean. It turns white because of blood flow or something inportant. So I wouldnt if I was you, but it's yor choice.
I don't see the point.





Who needs pretty nails when they are about to have a baby?





All sorts of baby gunk is going to get stuck under the things.





Save your money, love.





But here, you can not wear them if you are having a c-section, or you will be asked to tape over them.
They don't have a problem with well-manicured hands, but the length of the nail might complicate holding, changing, and feeding of the baby. Also, ask for a mask if you're going to go to a salon. The fumes are no good.
Nope. You have to remove all nail polish. Fake nails are better than real ones because fake ones are thick and soft and real ones are thin and sharp. I have mine done and I cant even itch my own itches lol
I wouldn't I went to go get my nails done when i was 4 months pregnant. biggest mistake.. I felt really light headed almost fainted because of the chemicals they use they were too strong..
Why, do you have a date after?
you could scratch your baby! do not get your nails done!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment